While your dog's been affected by certain illnesses, your vet may prescribe a bland diet for the recuperating pooch. A bland diet helps a dog's digestive system recover. Boiled turkey is an ideal meat for a bland diet. About 1/2 pound of turkey and three cups of a bland vegetable makes enough for a 25-pound dog for one day.
Chop 1/2 cup turkey into small bite-size pieces, or grind the turkey if you have access to a meat grinder. Remove any fat or bones if necessary.
Place the turkey in a pan with about 3 cups water and bring it to a boil.
Boil the turkey until it is cooked all the way through, usually about 20 minutes.
Drain the water and put the turkey in a mixing bowl.
Mix 3 cups cooked white rice, cooked plain oatmeal, boiled sweet potatoes or canned pumpkin with the turkey.
Separate the mixture into four or five small servings and offer a serving to your dog every few hours.
Items You Will Need
- 1/2 cup uncooked turkey meat
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups cooked rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes or canned pumpkin
- Ask the meat department at the grocery store to grind turkey breast for you. It will make preparation quicker and easier.
- Talk to your veterinarian if you have any questions about your dog's diet.
- Don't use the same water you boiled the turkey in to cook the other ingredients or they will absorb the fat from the turkey and could upset your dog's stomach.
- Don't use pumpkin pie filling. Look for plain canned pumpkin.
- Dean Golja/Digital Vision/Getty Images