Bread Dough Danger for Animals

by Gisela Chavez
    Keep your pet out of the kitchen when handling cookie dough.

    Keep your pet out of the kitchen when handling cookie dough.

    Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

    What may seem like a harmless snack of cookie dough or uncooked rolls can turn into a painful and expensive stay at the veterinarian for an animal. Certain food, such as milk, chocolate and bread dough are harmful to animals when ingested. Keep dangerous food away from your animal to prevent causing it serious harm.

    Bread Dough Danger

    When ingested, bread dough can be toxic to animals. The warm temperature of an animal's stomach can cause the bread dough to expand, making it difficult or impossible for the animal to vomit. As the dough rises and expands, it produces alcohol, which is also harmful to animals. The rising bread dough can cause an animal to feel intense bloating, disorientation and pain.

    What to Do if Ingested

    If you notice that your animal has ingested bread dough, seek medical attention as soon as possible. In certain cases, the animal may vomit before the bread dough has had a chance to fully expand, so the animal may not need to see a veterinarian. However, if the dough has expanded, and the animal is in pain, a veterinarian may need to surgically remove it from the animal's stomach.

    Tips to Prevent Ingestion

    Keep your animal away from the kitchen when handling bread dough or other raw pastries. Keep ovens, refrigerator and pantry doors closed at all times. Feed your animal safe and healthy pet treats to take away its temptation to eat people food. Dispose of unused dough immediately in a sealed garbage can to prevent your animal from going through the trash and eating potentially toxic food.

    Other Dangerous Food

    Chocolate contains theobromine that can cause an animal's heart rate to increase and over-stimulate its nervous system. If ingested, chocolate can cause seizures and potentially death. Many animals are lactose intolerant, so milk and other dairy products can cause significant digestive problems. Bones, such as pork bones, often splinter inside an animal's stomach, mouth or throat, which can be potentially fatal. Alcohol, even in small amounts, can cause animal sickness, urinary problems and can even cause comas.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Based in Colorado, Gisela Chavez has been writing and editing since 2004. Her editorial experience ranges from editing technical documents to editing for “The Bloomsbury Review.” She earned a professional writing certificate from the University of Colorado, where she received a Bachelor of Arts in English and Spanish.

    Trending Dog Food Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!