Dogs, like people, need fresh air and exercise but in an urban setting you may have to adapt your small deck to fit Scruffy's needs. Preparing an outdoor oasis is easy with a few precautions to ensure your puppy's safety. With some dog-safe potted plants and easy patio decor, Scruffy has food, water, shade and a place to sleep in the sun.
A Lawn for LoungingStep 1
Place a washing machine tray on a table or workbench. Drill out the side drain hole from the inside of the pan with an electric drill and a 1 3/8-inch hole saw.
A Lawn for LoungingStep 2
Install the enclosed elbow fitting, placing washers on each side of the pan and securing it with lock nuts according to the manufacturer's directions.
A Lawn for LoungingStep 3
Glue 1-inch PVC pipe to the elbow fitting with PVC cement. Add and glue additional elbow joints and pipe so the pan drains into the gutters or landscaping.
A Lawn for LoungingStep 4
Place the tray in position on the deck. Fill it half full with a lightweight potting soil mix. Sprinkle with water until the soil is moist, but not waterlogged.
A Lawn for LoungingStep 5
Cut the sod to fit into the tray, tamping it firmly against the moist soil. Sprinkle with water daily until the sod is actively growing. Generally a low-growing, warm season grass such as Bermuda grass (Cynodon species) or Saint Augustine grass (Stenotaphrum secundatum) is suitable for your puppy's "lawn."
Soothing ShadeStep 1
Arrange large flowerpots with nontoxic, warm-season trees around the deck to provide a shady oasis for Scruffy. The areca palm (Dypsis lutescens) and parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) thrive in US Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 10 through 11, but you'll have to take them indoors in winter.
Soothing ShadeStep 2
Add cold-hardy clumping bamboo to make your deck into Scruffy's four-season oasis. Blue fountain (Fargesia nitida) and red dragon (Fargesia "Jiuzhaigou" I) are both hardy in USDA zones 5 through 9. Bamboo also grows into a tall screen to provide privacy on the deck.
Soothing ShadeStep 3
Place a bistro table with an umbrella on the deck, so you can sit outside with Scruffy. He also can enjoy the shade under the table, chairs and umbrella.
Dog-Safe DecorStep 1
Screw additional pickets to the deck fencing and railing if necessary to prevent Scruffy from falling or crawling off the deck. Sheets of 4-by-8-foot lattice may be attached to the original rail with 1-inch deck screws to keep him safely on the deck.
Dog-Safe DecorStep 2
Lay a rug or outdoor carpet over the deck's flooring to cushion the hard surface. Whether the deck is wood or concrete, a rug makes the small space comfortable for you and Scruffy.
Dog-Safe DecorStep 3
Add solar lights or wrap twinkle lights around the deck's railings to brighten your evenings. Citronella candles placed in metal lanterns and hung amid your trees or on hooks help keep the mosquitoes away.
Dog-Safe DecorStep 4
Place food and water dishes in a convenient location on the deck. Always have fresh water available to Scruffy.
Items You Will Need
- Washing machine tray with side drain
- Electric drill with 1 3/8-inch hole saw
- PVC cement
- 1-inch PVC pipe
- 1-inch PVC elbows (optional)
- Potting soil
- Small trees or clumping bamboo
- Bistro table with umbrella and chair
- Fence pickets
- 4-by-8-foot lattice
- 1-inch screws
- Solar lights
- Twinkle lights
- Citronella candles
- Metal lanterns
- Food and water dishes
- Your dog may decide that his personal lawn is meant as a bathroom. You can use artificial turf instead of real grass, rinsing it with vinegar and water regularly to keep it clean.
- Use lightweight resin flowerpots to reduce the weight on the deck.
- Check all plants before placing them on the deck. Many common house and garden flowers are toxic to dogs.
- Keep plant fertilizers, candles and electric wiring out of your puppy's reach.
- ELM Mustee: Model 98 Durapan Washer/Water Heater Pan With Side Outlet Drain
- Yardcare.com: Warm-Season Grasses
- Floridata: Dypsis Lutescens
- University of Florida IFAS Extension: Chamaedorea Elegans Parlor Palm
- Bamboo Garden: Fargesia Nitida
- Bamboo Garden: Fargesia Sp. "Jiuzhaigou" I
- Dog Friendly Gardens, Garden Friendly Dogs; Cheryl S. Smith
- Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images