The chinaberry tree (Melia azedarach) is a member of the family Meliaceae. Although the trees might be pleasant visually, what with their small, pale lavender flowers, they are poisonous to many animals, including dogs.
The poisonous components of the chinaberry tree are the tetranortriterpenoids, which are chemical compounds mostly concentrated within the mature berries of the tree. The flowers, foliage and bark are also dangerous, so keep dogs from consuming any parts of a chinaberry tree.
If you think that your pooch might be experiencing chinaberry tree poisoning, take him in for emergency veterinary care. Some common signs of this type of toxicity are excessive drooling, throwing up, diarrhea and feebleness. If a dog ate a lot from a chinaberry, watch for more severe effects, from convulsions to fatality. Chinaberry tree poisoning is an urgent health matter, and it's crucial to act quickly. Symptoms frequently emerge within 2 to 4 hours of ingestion.
Chinaberry trees are also poisonous to other creatures, including cats, horses, guinea pigs, rabbits, sheep, rats and goats. People, too, so take note and be extremely cautious around them. Dogs are particularly prone to chinaberry tree poisoning, possibly because of their habit of munching on fruits on the ground.
Chinaberry trees go by several names, including bead tree, pride of India, white cedar, paradise tree, China ball tree, Persian lilac, Texas umbrella tree and Japanese bead tree. Although a paradise tree might sound lovely, its effects on dogs aren't.
- Goodshoot/Goodshoot/Getty Images