Can Dogs Drink Grape Cider?

by Naomi Millburn
Dogs and grapes just aren't a safe combo.

Dogs and grapes just aren't a safe combo.

Zedcor Wholly Owned/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images

For any responsible and caring pet owner, checking on the potential hazards of foods and beverages before offering them to your trusting four-legged friend is a matter of course. What may be totally innocuous to a human being may be seriously dangerous to a pet. Case in point: grapes.

Grapes

Grapes may seem like a nutritious treat option, but they most definitely are not good for pets. The Humane Society of the United States strongly warns against allowing dogs to eat grapes. The fruit is 100 percent toxic to the cuties, so make sure it stays far, far away from them at all times -- no exceptions at all.

Grape Cider

Grapes are indeed poisonous to pets. The full capacity of the fruit's danger in processed form is not yet certain, according to the ASPCA. Because of the risks associated with grapes and the products that consist of or are made of the juicy things, from raisins to grape cider, it is crucial to keep your pet away from anything and everything that includes it. If grapes are in any way involved in the making of a food or beverage, don't let your doggie have it, no matter how much he pleads with his limpid and cute eyes.

Effects

If a dog consumes grapes or anything that contains grapes, particularly in sizable amounts, he may be prone to kidney failure, the ASPCA notes. Some key signs of renal failure are weight loss, throwing up, absence of appetite, coordination issues, bad breath, ulcers in the mouth, and the presence of blood within the urine. If you have any reason to think your pet is experiencing kidney failure, seek emergency veterinary care immediately. Kidney failure signs usually show up between 24 and 72 hours after consumption. Other signs of grape toxicity are stomachache, exhaustion, dehydration and feelings of weakness, the Merck Veterinary Manual says. These signs typically emerge roughly between six and 12 hours post consumption.

Alcohol

Apart from just the grape factor of grape cider, the "cider" component may pose a serious risk to doggies. After all, many varieties of cider beverages contain alcohol. Alcohol is toxic to pets, and it may trigger effects including labored breathing, difficulty with balance, diarrhea, throwing up and quivering. In severe instances, alcohol can be deadly to dogs. Don't play around with your doggie's health. If a beverage has alcohol in it, don't allow even the smallest sip.

Sugar

Sugar is an element of many nonalcoholic ciders. The dog should get no processed sugar, which can lead to dental cavities, obesity and obesity's effects -- not good things at all. Similarly to apple cider, grape cider exists in both alcohol and alcohol-free forms. In alcoholic ciders, the sugar generally is fermented out of the beverage. Nonalcoholic grape cider is not fermented; it generally consists of ingredients like sugar, grape juice, sulfites, citric acid and water. Alcoholic grape cider is similar to wine but usually has lower alcohol content. With the sugar and alcohol elements of both types of ciders, grape cider is never the right choice for a pet -- no exceptions.

Photo Credits

  • Zedcor Wholly Owned/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images

About the Author

Naomi Millburn has been a freelance writer since 2011. Her areas of writing expertise include arts and crafts, literature, linguistics, traveling, fashion and European and East Asian cultures. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in American literature from Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo.

Trending Dog Food Articles

Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!