If you love offering your four-legged friend the occasional snack, but you'd like to try something other than commercial pet treats, you must be choosy on which human foods to offer him. Many snacks that we enjoy, such as raisins and grapes, can be harmful to your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Raisins?
Although these little chewy dried fruits may appear harmless, raisins, as well as grapes, have been known to cause serious illness in dogs. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals includes both snacks on its list of foods to avoid feeding dogs. The ASPCA also notes that it is unknown which substances in grapes and raisins cause toxicity.
How Can They Make Dogs Sick?
If your pooch has helped himself to some raisins or you unknowingly gave him some as a treat, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Eating these little wrinkled fruits can cause kidney failure in your pooch and, in severe cases, it may be fatal. Even small amounts can cause problems.
Within the first 12 hours you may notice your doggy vomiting or having diarrhea. Your pooch may become jittery and hyperactive, too. Other possible symptoms include loss of appetite, weakness and lethargy.
What to Do
The moment you discover that your dog ate raisins or grapes, call your veterinarian or call an emergency vet clinic for further instructions. You can also call the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
- Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images