Can Dogs Get Poisoning From Chewing Walnut Wood?

by Pamela Meadors Google
    Walnut husks or shells can be quite toxic for canines.

    Walnut husks or shells can be quite toxic for canines.

    Jupiterimages /Polka Dot/Getty Images

    Dogs love chewing on things and plants are no exception. Walnut wood is known to produce a toxic chemical and, while this chemical can cause a myriad of problems for other plants and some animals, the real concern for your pup is found in the husks of fallen walnuts.

    Walnut Husks are Toxic to Dogs

    Fallen walnut husks can develop a toxic mold of the penicillin derivative "Penatrim A." If ingested, this mold can cause seizures and tremors in dogs, and may even prove fatal. In addition, the wood and husks are of hard, fibrous materials with the potential to splinter. Because of this, sharp edges may cause digestive irritation and internal bleeding. If there is concern your pet may have ingested this plant, a veterinarian should be contacted right away.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages /Polka Dot/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Pamela Meadors is a scientist, writer, avid traveler and animal advocate. In addition to earning a Bachelor of Science in biology, she has worked in the veterinary field at various clinics throughout the United States since 1997.

    Trending Dog Food Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!