Can Eating Ivy Hurt a Puppy?

by Betty Lewis
    It's best to keep Pete away from the ivy.

    It's best to keep Pete away from the ivy.

    Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

    Puppies love to chew, whether it's a toy, your shoes or a found stick or plant. It's a normal, healthy behavior with potentially unhealthy consequences, particularly if Pete picks a plant that's toxic to him. If Pete's drawn to greenery, keep him away from English ivy, or choose a safer vine.

    Ivy - No Way

    Whether it's climbing an outdoor trellis or sprucing up your living room, your puppy should stay away from English ivy. Also called sweetheart ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy or branching ivy, both the ASPCA and the Pet Poison Helpline list this plant as toxic to dogs. If your puppy decides to sample this green, he may experience drooling, vomiting or diarrhea. In most cases, ingesting ivy will cause lethargy and gastrointestinal upset; however, it can also lead to muscle weakness, difficulty breathing and in extreme cases, coma. If you catch your puppy eating ivy, call your vet and get a sample of the plant so the vet can confirm diagnosis and treatment, if necessary.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Betty Lewis is a writer and editor specializing in pet care, animals, careers and emergency management. She previously ran an animal shelter, where she also served as a kennel attendant and dog trainer. Lewis holds a bachelor's degree in journalism, an M.B.A. and a master's degree in professional studies.

    Trending Dog Behavior Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!