Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from the slow cooker for your dog, and a hearty beef stew is just the ticket on a cold winter evening. Serve warm to enhance the aroma; he'll gobble it up and give you a big, wet kiss.
Put the beef into the cooker, add the water and stir until soupy.
Add the rice and stir to combine.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
Turn the cooker on high for three hours while you watch TV, or set it on low and go to work for eight hours.
Check the stew. If it seems too thick, thin with more water until you like the look of it. Cool before serving alone or over kibble.
Store the leftovers in portion-size containers and refrigerate for three days, or freeze until needed.
Items You Will Need
- 1 large Crock-Pot or other slow cooker
- 1 pound beef (or other meat), diced or ground
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup raw brown rice
- 1 small package frozen peas and carrots or mixed vegetables
- 1 #2 can cooked dried beans (black, white, navy, pinto, etc.)
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- If you feed this regularly without kibble, supplement Rover's calcium intake. You can use powdered calcium from the health food store, powdered eggshell or raw beef bones for chewing, but an easy way is to add calcium carbonate (the kind you take for an upset stomach—unflavored, please) to his food once a day. Add one and a half tablets for each 10 pounds of body weight.
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images