Devil's Ivy Toxicity in Dogs

by Christy Ayala Google
Munching on devil's ivy causes oral irritation and burning.

Munching on devil's ivy causes oral irritation and burning.

Chris Amaral/Digital Vision/Getty Images

Golden pothos, pothos, variegated philodendron, taro vine, marble queen and ivy arum are all names for a popular but toxic houseplant scientifically named Epipremnum aureum: devil's ivy. A good place to keep this plant if you have a dog is in a hanging basket, because if your pooch gets a mouthful, he’ll quickly discover that devil's ivy bites back.

What to Do

The stems and leaves of devil's ivy, according to the Pet Poison Helpline website, contain insoluble calcium oxalates, crystals that penetrate oral and digestive system tissues when your pup bites into or chews the plant. Ingestion causes intense burning of the mouth as well as swelling of the tongue, lips and digestive tract. While canine toxicity of devil's ivy is usually mild to moderate, the ASPCA recommends you reach out to your vet if you see signs that your dog has consumed it. Symptoms might include vomiting, oral swelling, heavy drooling and foaming or pawing at the mouth.

Photo Credits

  • Chris Amaral/Digital Vision/Getty Images

About the Author

Christy Ayala writes about recreation, sports, aquatics, healthy living, family and parenting, language development, organizational change, pets and animals. Ayala holds a master's degree in recreation administration from Aurora University’s George Williams College, a graduate certificate in organizational change from Hawaii Pacific University and a bachelor's degree in Spanish from the University of Missouri, St. Louis.

Trending Dog Behavior Articles

Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!