Doramectin in Dogsby Susan Paretts
Doramectin is a type of medication that is available to treat both internal and external parasites. It comes in both a topical and an injectable solution. While this medication has been given to dogs during medical studies, it is currently not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for our canine companions.
Use in Dogs vs. Livestock
In a study published in a 2002 edition of the "Australian Veterinary Practitioner," doramectin injections were given to dogs to treat demodectic mange. The medication successfully treated the condition with no serious side effects. In another study published in the February 2006 edition of "Veterinary Parasitology," both topical and injectable doramectin were given to pooches and appeared safe to use on the dogs. At this time the FDA has only approved doramectin for use with cattle, although the manufacturer Zoetis states that you can also use it in pigs as well. Zoetis further warns that the use of topical and injectable doramectin in dogs can be fatal to the pooches.
Related Drugs for Canines
For pups dealing with both internal parasites and external ones, vets most commonly use ivermectin to treat these conditions. Ivermectin is closely related chemically to doramectin and is generally safe to use with pups. Currently, ivermectin is approved by the FDA for use in dogs to treat heartworms in an oral formulation. Some vets use injectable ivermectin "off label" to treat conditions in pups like mites and some intestinal parasites. Consult with your vet to see what medication would be appropriate to treat your pooch's parasite problems.
- DVM360: Canine and Feline Demodicosis
- Australian Veterinary Practitioner: Doramectin as a Treatment for Canine and Feline Demodicosis
- 2ndChance.info: Demodectic Mange In Your Dog
- Zoetis: Dectomax -- Injectable Solution
- Zoetis: Dectomax -- Pour-On Solution
- Veterinary Parasitology: Plasma Dispositions of Ivermectin and Doramectin in Dogs
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: NADA 141-061 Dectomex Injectable Solution - Original Approval
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Dectomex Injectable Solution -- Original Approval
- petMD: The Safe Use of Ivermectin
- Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images