Effects of Glyphosate on Dogs

by Catherine Holden Robinson
Glyphosate is one of the most commonly used weed-control products.

Glyphosate is one of the most commonly used weed-control products.

Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

Found in such commercial products as Roundup, Rodeo and Pondmaster, glyphosate is a commonly used broad-spectrum herbicide with applications in agriculture, forestry and weed control. Identified with such "signal" words as "danger" and "caution," glyphosate is considered to be toxic, and laboratory studies have shown detriments in small animals and rodents ingesting controlled doses.

Weeding Through the Facts

Glyphosate, when ingested by dogs through the consumption of treated foliage, or in liquid form, caused symptoms such as altered cardiac activity, anorexia, hypersalivation, diarrhea and vomiting. Of the 150 cases observed over an eight-year period by The Veterinary Poisons Information Service in London, England, none of the ingestions proved fatal. Glyphosate, when consumed in minimal amounts may cause no adverse effect, but regardless, great caution should be used when applying this or any other toxin to an area frequented by the family dog. The accidental consumption of glyphosate or any other potentially harmful chemical warrants a visit to the veterinarian.

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images