The Effects of Rat Poison on Dogs & Cats

by Milton Kazmeyer
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, seek veterinary help immediately.

If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, seek veterinary help immediately.

Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Rat poison, needless to say, is toxic; it can be extremely dangerous to dogs and cats. If you suspect your pet may have ingested some rat poison, don't hesitate to hustle the dog to the vet, watching for the signs of poisoning associated with the type of poison he's ingested.

Anticoagulant Poisons

Some rat poisons use anticoagulants, which reduce the blood’s ability to clot. They can cause internal bleeding, often identified by sudden weakness and coughing. Your pet may also show blood in his saliva, urine, feces, or vomit.

Hypercalcemic Poisons

Hypercalcemic poisons work by attacking the kidneys, drastically altering calcium and phosphate levels in the body. If a dog ingests such a poison, symptoms include lethargy and weakness, and a sudden increase in thirst and urination.

Bromethalin

Bromethalin poisons attack the nervous system, causing tremors, seizures and paralysis in affected animals.

Treatment

If you suspect your pet has ingested rat poison, it doesn't matter what kind of rat poison it was, how much he ingested or whether he's showing any symptoms. Call your vet immediately. Quick treatment is the key to potentially saving his life and to full recovery.

Photo Credits

  • Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images

About the Author

Milton Kazmeyer has worked in the insurance, financial and manufacturing fields and also served as a federal contractor. He began his writing career in 2007 and now works full-time as a writer and transcriptionist. His primary fields of expertise include computers, astronomy, alternative energy sources and the environment.

Trending Dog Behavior Articles

Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!