Is a Flowering Potato Vine Poisonous to Dogs?

by Ruth de Jauregui Google
The flowering potato vine's flowers may be white or blue.

The flowering potato vine's flowers may be white or blue.

Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

The flowering potato vine (Solanum jasminoides) is grown in many gardens because of its fast growth, semi-evergreen foliage and white flowers. A member of the nightshade family, the flowering potato vine is a relative of the familiar garden potato. Like the garden potato, the leaves, stems, flowers and berries are all toxic to man and beast -- including your beloved puppy, Picasso.

The Toxic Solanum Family

The members of the nightshade, or Solanum family, including tomatoes, potatoes and the flowering potato vine, all contain alkaloids which may be toxic if eaten in large quantities. Among the symptoms of alkaloid poisoning are confusion, dilated pupils, diarrhea, drooling, sleepiness, vomiting and weakness. If you think Picasso might have eaten your vine, take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Tell the veterinarian what he ate and take a sample of the plant to the vet's office.

Photo Credits

  • Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images