Is a Golden Pothos Vine Poisonous to Dogs?

by Deborah Lundin
    Hanging golden pothos helps keep the plant out of your dog's reach.

    Hanging golden pothos helps keep the plant out of your dog's reach.

    Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

    Golden pothos (Epipremnum aureum), known also as pothos, devil’s ivy, taro vine and ivy arum, is a common houseplant with smooth, leathery, heart-shaped leaves, commonly mottled with yellow or white. Pothos adds a splash of green and helps to purify indoor air. Unfortunately, pothos is extremely toxic and should be kept out of Fido’s reach.

    Symptoms of Golden Pothos Toxicity

    The toxic compound found in golden pothos is calcium oxalate crystals and, in some species, proteinase. When your dog chews or ingests these plants, symptoms include an intense burning sensation of the mouth, lips and tongue; throat or airway swelling; difficulty breathing or swallowing; excessive drooling; and gastrointestinal upset. If your dog consumes large amounts, convulsions, renal failure, coma and death can occur. Any of these symptoms should spur a visit to the vet.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Deborah Lundin has worked as a professional writer since 2005, though writing has always been a passion. She brings a background in health and fitness, veterinary care, professional cooking and parenting. She studied medical laboratory science and sociology at Northern Illinois University. Sites published on include Yahoo, Physorg and MedicalXPress.

    Trending Dog Food Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!