You don’t need to buy fancy products to keep your pet clean and fresh. While perfumes may make him smell nice for a bit, the chemicals involved can also cause Rover to have dry, itchy skin. A simple homemade dog rinse can get the job done both inexpensively and safely.
Combine two gallons of warm water with one cup of plain vinegar. Distilled white vinegar is best, especially on light-colored dogs, but any vinegar will work. If your dog is very large or has a lot of coat, you may want to mix up a double batch. For smaller dogs you can cut the recipe in half.
Stir the vinegar and water together well. If your pet is really stinky you can increase the amount of vinegar, up to equal parts water and vinegar.
Pour the rinse over your dog. Go slowly, working it into his coat as you go. Try not to miss any areas, being sure to get around his neck, under his legs and on his chest.
Blot your pet dry with some towels. Leave the vinegar rinse in place. It won’t hurt him and it will help to control any doggy odor he may have.
Items You Will Need
- Distilled white vinegar
- It may help to give a really whiffy dog a deodorizing bath before you rinse him. Mix a quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide with a quarter cup of baking soda and a tablespoon or two of good dish soap. Work that into his fur and leave it for five minutes or so, then rinse your pal well with plain water. Be sure to get all the peroxide mix out of his fur, and then use the vinegar rinse. If your dog is really stinky, for example if he’s had a too-close encounter with a skunk, wash him two or three times to remove as much of the smelly stuff as possible before you rinse him.
- Don’t be put off by the strong smell of the vinegar when you apply it to your dog. He may smell like a salad for a bit, but when the vinegar dries the odor goes away, taking your buddy’s body odor along with it.
- Don’t get the shampoo or the rinse in your dog’s eyes or ears. While these natural products won’t cause him any harm, they’ll certainly sting his eyes, and moisture in the ears can lead to ear infections in the long run.
- Al Barry/Valueline/Getty Images