Its high drool factor makes cheddar cheese a delightful ingredient in homemade dog treats. From the time you mix up the dough for these tasty cheese sticks until they've cooled from the oven, your pooch will be glued to your side eagerly awaiting the golden-brown delicacies in store for him.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, flours, baking soda, baking powder and dried herbs in a mixing bowl. Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add the olive oil and water to the egg and blend thoroughly.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly until a dough is formed. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. With a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Roll the strips to form sticks.
Place the cheese sticks on the baking sheet close together. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese over the top of the sticks. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Items You Will Need
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- Knife or pizza cutter
- 1½ cups oat flour
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup lowfat cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup water
- Make your own oat flour by grinding old-fashioned, rolled oats in a food processor or blender to a fine, flourlike consistency.
- You can use other herbs, such as dried oregano or thyme.
- For a lower-fat version, reduce the amount of cheese.
- Use less expensive safflower or other vegetable oil instead of olive oil if you prefer.
- "The Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook"; Jessica Disbrow Talley and Eric Talley
- Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images