Our canine companions love peanut butter, a pup-safe human food that can provide them with healthy fats as well as B and E vitamins. Give your pup the goodness of peanut butter without harmful additives by making him some homemade peanut butter treats yourself. Whip up a batch of peanut butter biscuits or frozen treats containing only healthy but tasty ingredients your pooch will love.
How to Make Pup-Appropriate Peanut ButterStep 1
Place 1 pound of shelled, unsalted roasted peanuts in a food processor.
Process the peanuts until smooth while drizzling 1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut oil into the food processor to make it creamy.
Transfer the peanut butter into a jar and refrigerate it. Feed a teaspoonful of the fresh peanut butter to your pooch a few times a week in his food bowl.
Mix 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of white flour, 3/4 cup of rolled oats and 2 teaspoons of fresh, chopped parsley in a bowl. Set aside these dry ingredients.
Whisk together 2 eggs, the softened 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons of applesauce in a bowl.
Roll the dough to about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters to make treats shaped like bones or other fun shapes for your pup.
Bake the treats on a greased cookie sheet at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the cookies to cool and crisp further in the warm oven for an additional 20 minutes. Once cool, serve a treat to your pup and store the rest in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
How to Make Frozen Peanut Butter TreatsStep 1
Combine 1 cup of peanut butter with 1 banana and 1/4 cup of applesauce in a food processor until smooth.
Put the tray in the freezer overnight. Feed a frozen treat to your pooch a few times a week, especially on extremely warm days.
Items You Will Need
- 1 lb. shelled, unsalted roasted peanuts
- Food processor
- 1 1/2 tbsp. peanut oil
- Glass jar
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp. fresh, chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. applesauce
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters
- Greased cookie sheet
- Air-tight container
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- Ice-cube tray
- Wax paper
- Whole Foods Market: Homemade Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats
- Natural Smiling Dog Bakery Dog Treats; Patricia Griecci
- Cesar's Way: Dog Approved People Food
- Rescue for Love: Ask the Vet
- The Humane Society of the United States: DIY Dog Treat: Peanut Butter Popsicles
- Hartz: Human Foods for Dogs: Which Table Scraps and People Snacks Make Good Dog Treats
- The Ultimate Dog Treat Cookbook: Homemade Goodies for Man's Best Friend; Liz Palika
- Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes; Rebecca Palmer
- Food Network: Homemade Peanut Butter
- Anne Dale/Demand Media