Owls are a predatory bird and will hunt and kill any suitable prey. Unfortunately, this can sometimes include small dogs and other family pets. If you live in an area where owls are a problem, you need to take steps to protect your dog from these winged hunters. It is important to remember that these birds hunt not only in wide-open fields and meadows, but also in and around city parks and suburban homes. It's best to protect small dogs from owls and other birds of prey at all times in order to be safe.
Arrange two chain link fence panels to make a corner. These panels are pre-fabricated, with the wire stretched tightly on a frame made of metal pipes, and are available in various heights and weights. They can be purchased at feed stores, some pet shops and from online sources.
Place a clamp on the lower part of the panels. The clamp looks something like an eight. One side of the "8" shape will hold the frame of one panel and the other side will clamp around the other pipe. The clamp comes apart the long way in order to fit over the frame, with half on the outside and half on the inside of the pen.
Fit the bolt though the middle of both pieces of the clamp and tighten the nut to hold everything in place. The clamp will now be holding the two panels together.
Add a second clamp on the same two pipes, so that the panels are held at the first corner by two clamps, one near the top and one near the bottom of the fence panel. This will keep it secure and prevent it from tipping.
Repeat this process with all four panels of the pen. Make sure you put the gate panel in a convenient location.
Lay the roof panel over the top of the pen. Clamp it securely in place. You may want to get someone to help you place the roof where it should be; getting it in place and keeping it steady while you add the clamps can be awkward.
Items You Will Need
- Chain link dog pen, with top
- 16 fence clamps with hardware
- Socket wrench to fit clamp hardware
- Add shade cloth or a tarp to the pen to make a comfortable place for your pet. This pen will also protect very small dogs from hawks, eagles, coyotes and other dogs. You can use material other than chain link, but be sure it is sturdy enough to protect your pet.
- Your small dog is at risk any time it is not in the pen. Owls have been known to catch small animals even when they are very close to humans. It is safest to carry your dog to and from the pen to be certain an owl cannot grab it.
- Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images