Chiffon ribbon is a woven sheer fabric and comes in a variety of colors and patterns, making it a wonderful material to use when creating a little bling for your favorite pooch. With a few simple steps and no sewing required, you can have a custom, decorative dog collar for any special occasion.
Measure around your dog’s neck with the tape measure to determine the length of elastic cording you will need. Add 2 inches to this measurement to allow room to tie the cord together. Cut out a piece of elastic cording equal to this measurement. Tie the two ends together to create a circle.
Cut the chiffon ribbon in lengths of 4 to 6 inches, depending on your dog’s size. Use small lengths for smaller dogs and longer lengths for big dogs. How many strips you need varies based on the size of your dog’s neck.
Attach the ribbon to the elastic cording. Take one piece of ribbon and fold it in half, creating a loop at the top. Place the loop through the cording and pull the ends of the ribbon through the loop, creating a knot on the cording. Pull the ends of the ribbon to the outside of the collar. Take the next piece of ribbon and repeat the steps, making sure the knot is right next to the first knot. Continue with the remaining ribbon pieces until you completely cover the elastic cording collar.
Cut the ends of the ribbons to form peaks or tails. For peaks, cut from the center of the ribbon end out to the right and then out to the left. For tails, cut from the right end of the ribbon to the center and then back out to the left end.
Glue on bells, sequins or other decorations using the hot glue gun, if desired.
Items You Will Need
- Tape measure
- Elastic cording
- Chiffon ribbon
- Glue gun (optional)
- Bells, sequins or beads (optional)
- Get creative with your ribbon collars and rotate colors or ribbon patterns.
- For long-haired dogs, consider making a smaller, matching scrunchie to use to create a little puppy tail on top of her head.
- These collars are only decorative and should not be used as a method of restraint. If your dog requires a leash, place this collar over his regular collar.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images