Hosting a puppy party? Whip up a batch of this doggy Chex mix to serve your canine guests. They'll love this tasty mix of people and puppy foods that you can put together easily with simple ingredients. Feel free to tailor this recipe to what you have on hand that's suitable for dogs.
Dog Friendly Chex Mix Chow
Preheat your oven to 250 F.
Combine both dog kibbles, cereal, peanuts, pretzels, crackers and dog treats in a large roasting pan.
Whisk together the oil, beef stock and parsley in a mixing bowl.
Pour the oil mixture over the kibble mix and stir, making sure all the ingredients are thoroughly coated in the seasoned oil.
Bake the snack mix for one hour. Stir every 15 minutes to make sure it browns evenly.
Spread the cooked mixture on cookie trays to cool. Once it's cooled, you can transfer it to a serving bowl, or into small serving cups to give out to some hungry party animals!
Items You Will Need
- 1 cup dog kibble
- 1 cup dog kibble in another flavor
- 1 cup Chex mix (any flavor)
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup mini pretzels (low sodium preferably)
- 1/2 cup mini cheese-flavored crackers (low-sodium preferably)
- 1 cup small dog treats
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup low- or no-sodium beef stock
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- Large roasting pan
- Mixing bowl
- 2 cookie sheets
- You can also make this recipe in the microwave. Simply microwave the mix on high for five to six minutes, pausing every two minutes to stir, instead of baking for one hour.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. This snack should keep from a week to 10 days in the refrigerator.
- Swap the crackers and pretzels for Fido-friendly dried fruit (like apples and bananas), trade the oil for peanut butter and switch the parsley for cinnamon to make a sweet treat instead.
- Don't use snacks that include garlic or onion flavors, or any amount of avocado or mushrooms.
- Feed this doggy treat in small amounts if your dog eats the same thing every day. Too much of any new food can cause an upset stomach for your pup.
- Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images