House-training requires patience for both dog owner and puppy, who may need quite a bit of guidance before he learns not to pee on the carpet. Removing these messes requires quick action to sop up the excess urine before it stains. Then you'll need a cleaner for the urine residue and a separate cleaner for the urine odor. Once you've got the routine down pat, you and your canine companion can work to live in a clean and happy home.
Combine the 1 tsp. dish detergent and 8 oz. warm water.
Blot the urine spot with the sponge, soaked in the dish detergent and water mixture. Blot the spot only after you have soaked up the excess urine with paper or cloth towels.
Rinse the area with clean water. Blot it dry with a clean towel.
Combine 1 oz. white vinegar with 8 oz. of warm water.
Blot the area with the mixture of vinegar and warm water.
Rinse the area with water and blot it up with a clean towel.
Sprinkle baking soda over the entire spot area. Work the baking soda into the carpet. If you are certain your carpet is color fast, you can also pour 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide and a dash of dish detergent over the baking soda and work the entire combination into the carpet.
Let the baking soda mixture dry. If you have chosen not to use hydrogen peroxide, let the dry baking soda sit for several hours.
Vacuum up the dry baking soda or baking soda mixture.
Items You Will Need
- 1 tsp. liquid dishwasher detergent
- 8 oz. warm water
- 1 oz. white vinegar
- 8 oz. warm water
- Baking soda
- 3/4 c. hydrogen peroxide
- Remove excess urine before cleaning by placing cloth or paper towels on the spot. To maximize absorption, stand on the towels. If possible, pull up the carpet and place thick absorbent paper or newspaper under the carpet before doing this.
- To clean the pad underneath the carpet, use a commercial enzyme pet stain cleaner. You can also cut the pad out of the affected spot of carpet and replace it.
- Hydrogen peroxide may bleach or stain your carpet. Before using, test in a hidden area for colorfastness.
- Russell Illig/Photodisc/Getty Images