If your furry friend has dry, itchy skin or breaks out after a bath, a hypoallergenic shampoo -- you can make at home -- may be the answer he's been looking for. Generally, hypoallergenic products do not cause an allergic reaction, as stated on the Allergy Buyers Club website. Shampoo made with natural ingredients, like oils and soap available from your local pharmacy, generally soothes your pup’s skin instead of causing him to itch and scratch.
Pour the distilled water in a medium squeeze bottle. An old ketchup bottle or dishwashing liquid bottle works great.
Add the castile soap. Castile soap is recommended since it is made from vegetable oil and not animal byproducts or fat.
Shake the mixture and add 1 teaspoon of white or apple cider vinegar. Vinegar has antibacterial properties and helps with itching.
Add 1 teaspoon of grape seed, olive or tea tree oil to the mixture.
Items You Will Need
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- Squeeze bottle
- 1/4 cup castile soap
- 1 tsp. white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. grape seed, olive or tea tree oil
- Shake the bottle to mix the ingredients before each use.
- Always rinse your doggie completely after a bath. Residue from soap may cause him to itch and develop dry skin. If you dog develops skin issues that don’t clear up, contact your vet for a proper diagnosis.
- Chris Amaral/Digital Vision/Getty Images