Cuddling with your new puppy may be less than pleasant if she has an odor. While you may not be ready to bathe your small puppy, there are other ways to remedy her stench. With a few simple grooming tricks, some household items and housework, your puppy will smell fresh and odor-free. This will allow you to curl up together without having to hold your nose or come up for air.
Brush your puppy daily to remove loose fur. Dead hair and dander can cause your puppy to smell terrible. A daily brushing will remove dead hair and loose dander and can prevent the need for frequent bathing.
Sprinkle baking soda on her fur and brush through. Baking soda is a simple, natural item that will remove many odors from your puppy's fur. Just sprinkle the baking soda on the fur and brush to remove. The baking soda will absorb the odors, leaving your puppy smelling fresh.
Wipe fur with puppy wipes. Wipes are an easy method and just like giving your pet a bath, but without all the hassle. Your pet will simply think you're petting him as you move the wipe across his fur. You can use scented or unscented wipes, depending on if the dog has any allergies.
Spritz with puppy perfume. Puppy perfume is another quick trick that will mask odors coming from your dog's fur. All you need to do is spray her fur with the perfume and she's ready to go. Once the perfume dries, you can resume cuddling.
Wash the bedding. It doesn't do any good to use the above methods if you don't wash your puppy's bedding. As soon as he lays down, he will pick up the bad odors all over again. This is why you must wash the bedding regularly. You can also spray beds with pet-safe fabric fresheners to kill odor-causing bacteria.
Items You Will Need
- Baking soda
- Puppy perfume
- Fabric freshener
- Use the right brush for your dog's coat. Combs work well for short-haired dogs with one coat, while long-haired dogs with two coats need a stiff-bristled brush that can make it through both coats without hurting the dog's skin.
- A sifter is a good tool for getting an even coat of baking soda on your puppy's fur.
- Allow the pet bed to dry thoroughly after using fabric freshener.
- Always make sure to avoid the face and inside the ears when using wipes, baking soda and perfumes.
- Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images