This simple dog cake recipe is ideal for celebrating either your pup’s birthday or marking the anniversary of giving him a forever home. It looks like a cake especially made for us two-legged folks, but it is made with ingredients that won’t harm your four-legged pal. Confections made for humans have ingredients that could cause your pooch an upset stomach or life-threatening harm. Food like chocolate or raisins are toxic to dogs so choose your ingredients wisely.
The CakeStep 1
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
The CakeStep 2
In a bowl, mix the flour and baking soda.
The CakeStep 3
Add the softened butter, oil and eggs. Mix well so that the dry ingredients are thoroughly saturated with the wet ones. I use my trusty wooden spoon when baking, in lieu of a hand mixer. I prefer to pop the butter in the microwave for a few seconds until it's melted to avoid getting clumps of softened butter in the batter.
The CakeStep 4
Add the shredded carrots and carob chips, stirring them into the batter.
The CakeStep 5
Grease a cake pan with some cooking spray. I use an 8-by-8 inch pan. Pour the batter into it and bake for approximately 35 minutes.
The FrostingStep 1
After 35 minutes, insert a knife in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. Baking times vary by oven, so if the knife doesn't come out clean, pop the cake back into the oven for five more minutes and check again.
The FrostingStep 2
Let the cake cool completely. While it cools, mix 4 tablespoons of organic, low-sugar peanut butter into 6 heaping tablespoons of whipped cream cheese.
The FrostingStep 3
When the cake is cool, add the peanut butter and cream cheese frosting. Serve.
Items You Will Need
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup carob chips (available at health food stores)
- Cooking spray
- Organic, low-sugar peanut butter
- Whipped cream cheese
- You can serve the cake with or without frosting.
- If your dog has a peanut allergy, or has never had peanut butter, use only whipped cream cheese for the frosting.
- The cake must be completely cool before you add the frosting.
- Baked goods for dogs should always be low in fat and sugar.
- Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images