Making your own dog treats is great way to control the ingredients that your dog is eating. Making sure that you use healthy ingredients is essential. While most dogs love sweet people food, sugar is not healthy for them. However, there is one ingredient – the sweet potato – that delivers both a sweet flavor and a variety of health benefits for your sweet dog cookies and treats.
Sweet Potato CookiesStep 1
Preheat oven to 325F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside until needed.
Boil a couple sweet potatoes in a small pot of plain water. Once the potatoes are tender, mash them in a small bowl. Measure out ¾ cup of the mashed potato. In a large bowl, combine the potato with the chicken or beef broth. Slowly add the flour, cornmeal, mint and apples. Stir until combined.
Roll the dough on a floured surface until it is about ¼-inch thick. Using a cookie cutter or rim of a glass, cut the dough into desired shapes. Place the shapes on the parchment paper-covered cookie sheet.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until dried and golden brown. Turn the oven off and leave the oven door slightly open. Allow the treats to cool in the oven for an additional hour or two. Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to one week.
Sweet Potato ChewStep 1
Preheat oven to 250F. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Using a knife or mandolin, slice a sweet potato lengthwise with a thickness of between 1/3 inch and ¼ inch. Place them flat on the parchment paper.
Place in the oven and bake for three hours, turning them over mid-way through. When baking is complete, place on a wire rack to cool. These treats will keep in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
Items You Will Need
- Sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 Granny Smith apple, grated
- In general, sweet potatoes are a good source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber for your dogs.
- If your pet likes the sweet potato chews chewy, reduce the cooking time slightly. If a crunch is preferred, increase the cooking time by 20 to 30 minutes. The chews may appear soft when removed from the oven but they do harden more as they cool.
- A food dehydrator is an alternative way to make the sweet potato chews.
- Before making any homemade treats for your dog, check with your veterinarian for any possible dietary considerations specific to your dog.
- Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images