Miracle-Gro Plant Food Toxicity to Dogs

by Deborah Lundin
    Follow label directions when applying Miracle-Gro and keep containers out of your dog's reach.

    Follow label directions when applying Miracle-Gro and keep containers out of your dog's reach.

    Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

    Miracle-Gro is a brand name plant food that comes in powder or liquid form. Designed to feed everything from houseplants to lawns, trees and shrubs, the Food and Drug Administration recognizes Miracle-Gro as “Generally Recognized As Safe,” or GRAS. Despite this classification, it is essential to follow the warning labels on your container regarding the safe application. While Miracle-Gro may not be toxic to dogs, it can cause irritation.

    Maybe He Just Wanted to Grow

    When used as directed, Miracle-Gro is generally safe around dogs. However, irritation from contact or ingestion is still possible. If your dog decided to tip over the bottle and sample a small drink, consult with your veterinarian. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Household Products Database, a main chemical compound in Miracle-Gro is urea. A 2005 report in the International Journal of Toxicology reported that dogs ingesting large amounts of urea showed signs of toxicity. Symptoms include weakness, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea and decreased body temperature. Exposure to powder may cause upper respiratory tract irritation or skin irritation.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Deborah Lundin has worked as a professional writer since 2005, though writing has always been a passion. She brings a background in health and fitness, veterinary care, professional cooking and parenting. She studied medical laboratory science and sociology at Northern Illinois University. Sites published on include Yahoo, Physorg and MedicalXPress.

    Trending Dog Pet-Related House & Yard Care Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!