Is Miracle-Gro Poisonous to Dogs?

by Milton Kazmeyer
    Miracle-Gro is not poisonous to dogs, but it may cause irritation.

    Miracle-Gro is not poisonous to dogs, but it may cause irritation.

    Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images

    Miracle-Gro is a brand of plant fertilizer that comes in both solid and liquid forms, with products suitable for everything from indoor houseplants to lawns, trees and shrubs. While the Food and Drug Administration classifies Miracle-Gro's ingredients as “Generally Recognized as Safe,” you should nonetheless take care when exposing your dog to Miracle-Gro, other Miracle-Gro-branded chemical products, and other lawn and garden chemicals.

    According to the company, pets may enter a treated area immediately after use. However, the contents of Miracle-Gro can potentially irritate skin and eyes on contact. For maximum safety, keep your dog away until the product has dried, or water the area immediately after application to wash the Miracle-Gro into the soil before letting your dog out to play.

    The ingredients of Miracle-Gro are nontoxic, according to its Materials Safety Data Sheet, but ingestion can cause gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting and diarrhea. If you suspect your dog has ingested any Miracle-Gro product, you should provide him with plenty of water and call poison control or your veterinarian for advice.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Milton Kazmeyer has worked in the insurance, financial and manufacturing fields and also served as a federal contractor. He began his writing career in 2007 and now works full-time as a writer and transcriptionist. His primary fields of expertise include computers, astronomy, alternative energy sources and the environment.

    Trending Dog Pet-Related House & Yard Care Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!