Is Mouse Bait Harmful to Dogs?

by Deborah Lundin
Traditional mouse traps reduce the risk of accidental poisoning.

Traditional mouse traps reduce the risk of accidental poisoning.

Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Mouse bait traps work to rid a home, garage or barn of rodent pests. Unfortunately, these bait traps appeal to curious canines and prompt many calls to the Pet Poison Helpline each day. Mouse baits are poisonous to your dog, but the level of toxicity and the need for immediate medical care depends on the specific type of bait you use. Knowing the exact ingredients in your mouse bait traps is essential for proper treatment if your dog eats some. If you suspect your dog has ingested mouse bait, seek immediate veterinarian care.

Types of Bait and Symptoms

Four main types of rodent bait exist: long-acting anticoagulants, cholecalciferol, bromethalin, and zinc and aluminum phosphides. Symptoms vary based on the ingredient ingested but include internal bleeding, nose bleeds, coughing, lethargy, pale gums, vomiting, diarrhea, bloody urine, increased thirst and urination, loss of appetite, loss of coordination, tremors, seizures, paralysis, stomach bloating, abdominal pain and liver damage.

Photo Credits

  • Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

About the Author

Deborah Lundin is a professional writer with more than 20 years of experience in the medical field and as a small business owner. She studied medical science and sociology at Northern Illinois University. Her passions and interests include fitness, health, healthy eating, children and pets.

Trending Dog Food Articles

Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!