Organic Dog Hair Conditioning Recipeby Amanda Maddox
Taking care of your dog’s coat doesn’t require expensive chemicals. You can make your own organic conditioner at home with only a few items found at your local grocery store. For instance, rosemary conditions your dog's hair and leaves a fresh aroma. Also, eggs are rich in protein and vitamins and help deep condition to remove mats and tangles.
Pour 4 cups of distilled water into a medium pot. Bring the water to a boil.
Add 2 teaspoons of rosemary to the water. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the mixture to set for 10 minutes covered.
Set the colander on top of the bowl and cover it with a paper towel. Pour the mixture into the colander and strain out the rosemary. Allow the conditioner to cool.
Separate an egg. Whisk the egg yolk in a bowl.
Add water slowly to the bowl until the mixture is creamy. It should take about 1/2 cup.
Whip the egg white into the mixture with the whisk until it is mixed completely.
Items You Will Need
- 2 teaspoons rosemary (dried or fresh)
- 4 cups distilled water
- Large bowl
- Paper towel
- After washing your dog, apply the rosemary conditioner. No rinsing is necessary.
- Rub the egg mixture into your dog’s coat to remove tangles or burrs. Rinse it from his coat after use.
- Me vs. the House: Make Your Own Homemade Dog Conditioner
- The Alpha Dog Attitude: Homemade Dog Shampoo
- Native Remedies: Homemade Dog Coat Conditioner Recipes
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images