Is Passiflora Vine Safe for Dogs?

by Carlye Jones
    Passiflora vine is easily identified by its cheery purple flowers.

    Passiflora vine is easily identified by its cheery purple flowers.

    Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

    Dogs, especially puppies, have a bad habit of chewing on all sorts of things that don't belong in their mouth, including plants such as passiflora vine, which is also known as passion vine. While some animals are good at discerning whether or not a plant is poisonous, dogs are indiscriminate, and will munch on the leaves of a poisonous plant just as readily as a non-toxic one.

    Passiflora is considered non-toxic to dogs as well as humans and other animals. Eating small amounts of this plant will not poison your dog. Some dogs have sensitive digestive systems, however, and may have an upset stomach if they eat very much of a passiflora vine. If your dog becomes ill after eating or chewing on a plant, contact your veterinarian or a pet poison hotline. Mild vomiting after eating a non-toxic plant is not serious, however, vomiting is one sign of poisoning, and is often seen in conjunction with drooling, diarrhea, lethargy, pale gums and an increased heart rate. Although passiflora vine is not toxic, it is possible for your dog to ingest toxic plants that may be growing in close proximity to the vine.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Carlye Jones is a journalist, writer, photographer, novelist and artisan jeweler with more than 20 years of experience. She enjoys sharing her expertise on home improvements, photography, crafting, business and travel. Her work has appeared both in print and on numerous websites.

    Trending Dog Behavior Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!