While it might cut through dirt and grease to beautify the surfaces around your house, Pine-Sol does a number on your puppy's insides. If your puppy's ingestion of the cleaner is left untreated, the chemicals present in Pine-Sol can cause your pal to experience fatal symptoms. Using home remedies without consulting your vet or a poison control specialist can also result in deadly consequences.
The original Pine-Sol contains some of the most dangerous chemicals, including pine oil, surfactants, glycolic acid and isopropyl alcohol. The dangers in other variations of Pine-Sol center mostly around surfactants. All of these chemicals can cause your puppy to suffer from serious and life-threatening symptoms and conditions, including acidosis, renal failure, vomiting, fever, coma, decreased heart rate, mouth irritation and a drunken gait. Puppies are especially at risk because their smaller size means a smaller amount of Pine-Sol can cause adverse effects in comparison to full-grown adult dogs.
Your pup's ingestion of Pine-Sol calls for immediate action. Take the bottle of Pine-Sol away from your puppy and block access to all spots where the cleaner may have leaked. Pick up your pal's water and food bowls and get on the phone immediately with your vet, an animal hospital or a 24-hour animal poison control hotline. If the aforementioned symptoms have already begun, or you notice other serious symptoms, skip the call and drive your puppy to your vet or the closest animal hospital. Do not under any circumstance feed your puppy food, give him water or try to induce vomiting unless a vet or poison control specialist instructs you to do so.