Recipe for Deskunking a Dogby Amanda Maddox
So your four-legged friend discovered that that black-and-white furry critter is not a cat? Now you have a dog that smells like a skunk. The smell is notoriously difficult to remove, but a chemical mixture consisting of products found at your local pharmacy will help deskunk your pooch.
Mix 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of dishwashing liquid in an open container. Do not cover the container, it may explode.
Cover your smelly pooch’s coat and skin with the mixture. Sponge the mixture onto his head and face, keeping it out of his eyes and ears. Gently massage it in.
Wait about five minutes while it foams on his coat, or until you notice the smell getting faint.
Rinse your dog’s coat with clean tap water. Repeat the process until the skunk smell is gone.
Items You Will Need
- 1 quart hydrogen peroxide (3 percent strength)
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 teaspoons dishwashing liquid
- Place cotton balls in your dog's ears to keep them dry.
- Make sure you rinse your dog well. Leaving the mixture on his skin may cause irritation.
- Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images