Tree sap is one of the stickiest substances on the planet, and once it gets set in your dog's fur, it can be a real pain, both figuratively and literally, to get out. As the sap hardens, it can glue the fur together and adhere to his skin. It is important to act fast and work on getting the sap out of the fur while it is still soft in order to minimize your dog's discomfort.
Set the hair dryer to its lowest setting and focus its aim on the sap in your dog's fur. This will help keep the sap soft and pliable, which will make it easier to get out. Keep the tip of the hair dryer at least four inches away from your dog's skin to prevent it from burning him.
Apply a generous amount of creamy peanut butter to the sap-covered fur. Work it in so the peanut butter gets all the way down to the surface of the skin and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. The oils in the peanut butter will start breaking down the adhesive quality of the sap and allow you to comb the sap out. If you do not have creamy peanut butter available, you can substitute mayonnaise since it contains a high oil content as well.
Comb the peanut butter out of your dog's hair using a rigid-toothed comb, starting with short strokes at the tip of the hair and working your way into deeper strokes as the sap begins to give way. If you comb too deeply too soon, it will cause the sap to bunch up in the fur and this could cause your dog some discomfort when his fur is pulled.
Thoroughly wash your dog using warm water and dog shampoo to get the remaining peanut butter out of his fur. If some sap still remains, you can repeat the process or trim away the excess sap with a pair of scissors.
Items You Will Need
- Hair dryer
- Peanut butter
- Dog shampoo
- Other non-toxic, oil-based products suitable for removing tree sap from fur include petroleum jelly and organic adhesive removers, but if the affected area is someplace where your dog can reach to lick, then food-based products are still the preferred choice.
- Do not use chemical-based adhesive thinners, WD-40, fabric softeners, acetone, paint thinner or detergents on your dog's fur or skin. These products are toxic and can cause injury or illness if your dog ingests them.
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images