How to Get Rid of Pink Fur Stains From the Dog Lickingby Lori Lapierre
Your dog's diet, allergies or a skin condition can cause him to lick excessively, creating pink fur stains. While he needs meat and bones, commercial foods consist of grains and fillers. His saliva contains too much yeast and the bacteria stains his fur. Change his diet and consult a veterinarian, but clean the stains with a few household items.
Pour the distilled water into the pitcher or large bottle. Add the sea salt, and shake or stir to mix thoroughly.
Lead your dog into the tub or place him on a towel. The floor should not be carpeted to avoid damage.
Saturate the pink fur stain with the saltwater solution; pour the mixture directly onto the stain and massage it into the fur for at least one minute. The salt works to kill the bacteria.
Towel dry the affected area so that your dog's fur is not dripping water.
Soak the stained area with hydrogen peroxide. This can be poured directly from the bottle or applied with cotton balls. Massage the solution into the fur stain and allow it to remain for up to five minutes. Hydrogen peroxide works to bleach the stained fur.
Rinse the stained area with warm water and towel dry your dog; allow his fur to air dry.
Wash the stained area with the saltwater solution up to four times daily; however, bleach the spot with the hydrogen peroxide only once a day. Repeat until the stains disappear.
Items You Will Need
- 1 gallon distilled water
- Pitcher or large bottle
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Cotton balls (optional)
- Your dog will need a higher protein diet to combat the yeast internally, or he will continue to lick and the pink stains will return.
- Consider commercial products such as whitening shampoo or wipes to help clear up the stains.
- Check with your veterinarian to make sure your dog doesn't have allergies, dry skin, a sore or some other reason that could be causing the licking.
- Use caution if applying hydrogen peroxide to your dog's face, such as around his mouth; it must not be splashed into his eyes.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images