Side Effects if a Dog Ate Ibuprofen

by Tammy Dray
Ibuprofen can be highly toxic to a dog.

Ibuprofen can be highly toxic to a dog.

Dean Golja/Digital Vision/Getty Images

A number of common medications, including ibuprofen, are highly toxic to dogs. In fact, ibuprofen can even be fatal in some cases. If you suspect Rover has ingested even over-the-counter meds such as ibuprofen, get him to the vet -- rush if you notice symptoms of poisoning.

Gastrointestinal Problems

The most common -- and milder -- side effects of ibuprofen include diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal discomfort or pain.

More Serious Problems

One of the major risks of ibuprofen consumption in dogs is renal failure. This usually happens at large doses of about 175mg per kilogram of body weight. However, DMV360.com points out that very young or senior dogs -- as well as those who are sick or have compromised immune systems -- might experience kidney problems at much lower doses. Seizures, coma and death are also a possibility.

Photo Credits

  • Dean Golja/Digital Vision/Getty Images

About the Author

Aside from writing experience, I also have coaching/teaching experience, both as an writing coach (currently teaching three workshops at www.coffeehouseforwriters.com) and an ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language)teacher abroad. I'm a certified Nutrition Consultant and fitness trainer and a longtime contributor to health/wellness publications, from Self to Marie Claire. I am fluent in Spanish and have worked as a translator and a language instructor. I also have two books forthcoming in 2008.