If you enjoy cooking homemade dog food or want to treat your dog to a special dinner, beef stew is an affordable and delicious choice. With succulent chunks of beef added to a healthy stew, your dog will be happy and satisfied! This recipe can also be modified to suit your available ingredients and dog's tastes.
Making a Chunky Beef Stew for Your DogStep 1
Brown the beef chunks on all sides in a large nonstick pot on medium heat.
Making a Chunky Beef Stew for Your DogStep 2
Sprinkle the beef chunks with the flour and stir until flour absorbs rendered fat from meat.
Making a Chunky Beef Stew for Your DogStep 3
Pour beef stock slowly over meat. Add rice, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Making a Chunky Beef Stew for Your DogStep 4
Add remaining vegetables to stew. Stir and simmer, covered, for one hour or until meat is tender and liquid is thickened to the desired consistency.
Making a Chunky Beef Stew for Your DogStep 5
Serve stew warm, not hot. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat gently before serving.
Items You Will Need
- 1 lb. beef chunks, untrimmed
- 6 cups beef stock (preferably low or no sodium)
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- Feel free to substitute other meats, grains and vegetables to your stew, as long as they are considered safe for dogs.
- Possible substitutions include barley for the rice, green beans for the carrots or corn for the peas.
- Consult a feeding guide to determine serving sizes based on your dog's breed, weight and age.
- Always consult a list of safe "human" foods for dogs before altering your stew recipe.
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images