If you enjoy cooking homemade dog food or want to treat your dog to a special dinner, beef stew is an affordable and delicious choice. With succulent chunks of beef added to a healthy stew, your dog will be happy and satisfied! This recipe can also be modified to suit your available ingredients and dog's tastes.
Making a Chunky Beef Stew for Your Dog
Brown the beef chunks on all sides in a large nonstick pot on medium heat.
Sprinkle the beef chunks with the flour and stir until flour absorbs rendered fat from meat.
Pour beef stock slowly over meat. Add rice, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Add remaining vegetables to stew. Stir and simmer, covered, for one hour or until meat is tender and liquid is thickened to the desired consistency.
Serve stew warm, not hot. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat gently before serving.
Items You Will Need
- 1 lb. beef chunks, untrimmed
- 6 cups beef stock (preferably low or no sodium)
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- Feel free to substitute other meats, grains and vegetables to your stew, as long as they are considered safe for dogs.
- Possible substitutions include barley for the rice, green beans for the carrots or corn for the peas.
- Consult a feeding guide to determine serving sizes based on your dog's breed, weight and age.
- Always consult a list of safe "human" foods for dogs before altering your stew recipe.
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images