How to Stop My Dog From Eating Snails

by Amanda Williams
    Slugs are pests to gardeners and pets.

    Slugs are pests to gardeners and pets.

    Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

    Snails are hosts of the deadly parasite lungworm. If your dog consumes an infected snail, the parasites travel through the respiratory tract, blood stream and organs, often causing nose bleeds, bleeding from the eyes and even organ failure.

    Prevent your dog from eating snails by monitoring him when outside, especially near gardens and bushes where snails feed. Remove feces or stagnant water from your yard, where larvae are awaiting hosts. Remove slugs from your yard with natural products that aren't harmful to your dog.

    A trip to the vet for blood tests, fecal tests or X-rays is essential if your dog consumes a snail. Veterinarians can apply liquid medication to your dog's skin if he has consumed the parasite; some advocate applying it as a regular preventative to combat possible infestations. The medication will kill any parasite larvae, as well as fleas or other present parasites. For a large infestation, your dog may require surgery.

    Photo Credits

    • Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Amanda Williams has been writing since 2009 on various writing websites and blogging since 2003. She enjoys writing about health, medicine, education and home and garden topics. Williams earned a Bachelor of Science in biology at East Stroudsburg University in May 2013. Williams is also a certified emergency medical technician.

    Trending Dog Behavior Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!