Toxicity of Corkscrew Willow for Dogs

by Deborah Lundin
    Corkscrew willow tree bark contains the toxic compound salicylate.

    Corkscrew willow tree bark contains the toxic compound salicylate.

    Hemera Technologies/Photos.com/Getty Images

    Corkscrew willow trees, along with many other willow varieties, contain salicylate in their bark. Salicylate, the active ingredient in aspirin, can be beneficial for dogs when prescribed for arthritis or other painful conditions. However, in dosages higher than prescribed, salicylate can be toxic to dogs, even resulting in sudden death. Because of this, it is important to stop your dog from chewing or eating the bark on a corkscrew willow.

    Symptoms

    Symptoms of salicylate poisoning typically begin with loss of appetite. Other symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and intestinal bleeding. The toxin moves into the central nervous system, resulting in difficulty walking, loss of coordination, weakness, loss of consciousness and sudden death.

    Treatment

    If you believe your dog has eaten bark from a corkscrew willow or other salicylate-containing product, contact your veterinarian immediately. The sooner treatment begins the better the prognosis will be, generally speaking. The veterinarian will induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal to remove and absorb as much salicylate as possible. Fluids and other supportive care are will be administered as needed.

    Photo Credits

    • Hemera Technologies/Photos.com/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Deborah Lundin has worked as a professional writer since 2005, though writing has always been a passion. She brings a background in health and fitness, veterinary care, professional cooking and parenting. She studied medical laboratory science and sociology at Northern Illinois University. Sites published on include Yahoo, Physorg and MedicalXPress.

    Trending Dog Food Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!