Almost anything your dog puts in his mouth poses a danger -- whether the hazard is choking, intestinal blockage or toxins. Flower bulbs are no exception, including tulips, daffodils and many other springtime favorites that your dog may see as an interesting snack or chew toy.
Tulip and daffodil bulbs are both poisonous to dogs. Tulip bulbs contain lactones and daffodil bulbs contain lycorine. These toxic substances cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, irregular heart rate and breathing difficulties. Bulbs from many other spring flowers are also poisonous to your dog, in part because the toxins they contain are especially concentrated in the bulb. Popular bulbs that are toxic include hyacinths, crocuses, lilies, irises, lily of the valley, oxbane and narcissus. Even bulbs that aren't toxic can cause vomiting and diarrhea if your dog eats them. If you suspect that your dog has chewed on or ingested a toxic bulb, or you are unsure if a plant the dog has munched on is toxic, contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Michael Blann/Photodisc/Getty Images