How to Cook Ground Meat for Dogsby Betsy Gallup
Concerns about commercial dog food recalls have increased some pet owners' interest in home-cooking delicious and nutritious meals for their precious canines. Cooking for dogs is a matter of combining healthy, fresh ingredients that are both good for your dog and good tasting. Remember to let the food cool thoroughly before letting your dog chow down.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine the rice and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool.
Combine the ground beef, potatoes and carrots in a large bowl. Add the rice, oats, oil and eggs. Mix thoroughly. The mixture should remind you of a meatloaf in consistency.
Have some fun. Measure out the meat mixture in about one-cup portions and mold the portions into dog-bone shapes on the baking sheet. Make sure to press the meat together firmly or your bones will fall apart when baked.
Bake for 45 minutes or until done in the middle. Undercooked ground beef can transfer bacteria or parasites into your dog. The cooking time will vary with the size of your bones, so if you decide to make smaller bones for a smaller dog, reduce the cooking time.
Remove from oven and cool on a baking rack. You can store these in the refrigerator or freezer until needed.
Video of the Day
- Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Other fruits and vegetables that you can mix into your meat mixture include celery, apples, pineapples and green beans.
- Rather than shaping your meat patties into dog bones, you can cook your meat mixture in muffin tins.
- Avoid adding salt, onion or garlic to season a dog's food. These foods can make a dog sick.
- If your dog is accustomed to a steady diet of commercial dog food, limit the amount of ground meat you add to his diet at one time or you may give him a stomachache.