How to Cook Pork & Oats Dog Foodby Susan Dorling
Your dog will love roasted lean pork served with nutritious oats and veggies.
Pork has more of the essential amino acids that build muscle mass and aid tissue repair in dogs than any other source of protein. Lean pork is also the easiest meat to digest, and it's hypoallergenic. For a yummy dinner your best friend will adore, pair roasted pork with oats.
Roast the pork in a 325-degree Fahrenheit oven until done and juices run clear, about 40 minutes to an hour. Remove the meat from the oven and place it on a platter. Cut the roasted pork into 1-inch or bite-sized chunks and set aside to cool.
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the oats, cover, and turn off the heat. Let the oats cook in the hot water for about 10 minutes or until soft. While still warm, mix in the eggs. Set aside to cool completely.
Peel and quarter a large sweet potato or yam. Cut fresh green beans into small pieces. Place the veggies in a saucepan, cover with water and cook for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove the vegetables from the heat and drain.
Mash the sweet potato or yam, then place the vegetables in your dog's bowl. Toss in the chunks of pork. Pour the oatmeal over top of the veggies and pork. Stir gently to incorporate the ingredients, and serve.
Video of the Day
- Great Dane Lady: The Pork Myth
- Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats; Dr. Richard H. Pitcairn, D.V.M., Ph.D. and Susan Hubble Pitcairn
- Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images
- Baking pan
- Carving knife
- Large pot with cover
- Large spoon
- 1 pound pork loin roast
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato or yam
- 1/2 cup cooked green beans
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- This recipe makes about 6 or 7 cups of oatmeal, plus the meat and vegetables. The daily ration in cups of the pork, oats and veggies is based on the dog's size, and is as follows: toy -- 1 to 2 cups, small -- about 5 cups, medium -- 8 to 9 cups, large -- 10-11 cups and giant -- 12 or more cups.
- The meal may be served with the oatmeal on its own, topped with the pork and veggies, or on a plate with the pork, vegetables and oatmeal beside each other the way we might eat it.
- Select organically-raised pork when it's available to ensure the meat is free of antibiotics and other drugs.
- Store any unused portions in the refrigerator in airtight containers or plastic zip-top bags for up to two days.
- Individual portions may be kept in the freezer for two months and thawed as required. Thaw in the refrigerator.