If My Dog Chewed on a Dead Bird, Can She Get a Parasite?by Deborah Lundin
Eating a dead bird or holding it in the mouth can spread parasites to your dog.
While you may not find a bird carcass appetizing, your pooch will undoubtedly find it worth scarfing. Birds can carry a variety of parasites, but luckily, most of these parasites are not zoonotic and so are unable to spread to your dog. One parasite, though, coccidium, is zoonotic; it can pass from a dead bird to cause coccidiosis in dogs.
Transmission and Symptoms of Coccidiosis
The coccidium parasite enters your dog’s system through ingestion of infected stool, grass or dirt infected from stool, or by eating parasite-carrying birds or rodents. Symptoms of coccidiosis include mild to severe diarrhea, loss of appetite, dehydration and vomiting. In severe cases, diarrhea may contain blood or mucus.
Treatment and Prevention
The treatment for coccidiosis includes anti-parasitic medication. Intravenous fluids may be necessary to treat dehydration. To help reduce the risk of your dog picking up coccidium, check the year for dead birds or rodents and pick up feces on a regular basis, especially in areas where stray dogs are able to enter.
Video of the Day
- Apple Tree House/Lifesize/Getty Images