With honey and spice and everything nice, these delectable mini muffins are a festive treat for your dog any time of the year. Bursting with flavor and the goodness of unsweetened applesauce, oats and honey, these wee treats topped with a fluffy peak of creamy frosting, have a crunchy, peanutty surprise inside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium mixing bowl, blend 2 tablespoons of the honey, water, applesauce, vanilla and egg until well incorporated. In the large bowl, mix together the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, chopped peanuts, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients a little at a time. Mix until well blended.
Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, filling each cup two-thirds full. Bake for 35 minutes. Insert a clean knife or toothpick into the center of a muffin as a test. If it comes out dry, the muffins are done. Let the muffins cool completely.
Remove the muffins from the tin and set them on a plate. To decorate, combine the cream cheese, peanut butter, olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey in the medium mixing bowl. Mix with a stick blender or beat with a spoon until fluffy. Swirl about 1 tablespoon of frosting on the top of each muffin. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
For an even more festive muffin, top each with half a glace cherry or cover with carob chips.
To reduce the fat, omit the peanuts and frosting.
Items You Will Need
- Large mixing bowl
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- Food processor or mixing spoons
- Frosting knife
- Stick blender or mixing spoon
- Mini muffin tin with 24 cups
- Olive oil non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons raw honey + 1 tablespoon
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned, rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Three Dog Bakery Cookbook; Dan Dye and Jeff Beckloff
- Pupcakes; Stepanie Mehanna
- Dr. Richard Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats; Dr. Richard H. Pitcairn, D.V.M., Ph.D. and Susan Hubble Pitcairn
- Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images