The foxglove looks pretty, but it's also pretty deadly for people and pets. It is the source of digitalis, a traditional heart medicine that cures if given in correct doses, and kills in larger amounts. Control your pup if you are near foxgloves, and if you have some in your garden, make sure the plants are surrounded by a dog-proof barrier.
The foxglove contains chemicals called cardiac glycosides, which interfere with the electrolyte balance in the heart muscle. The symptoms of poisoning in a dog who has ingested some of the plant range from moderate to severe. Typical signs of foxglove poisoning are drooling, nausea and vomiting. The more severe symptoms involve an irregular and fast heartbeat, dilated pupils, collapse and cardiac arrest. Get your pet to a vet immediately if you think he has eaten foxglove.
Similar Poisonous Plants
Other plants containing similar toxins are oleander, lily of the valley, Star of Bethlehem, dogbane, milkweed and kalanchoe.
Based in London, Eleanor McKenzie has been writing lifestyle-related books and articles since 1998. Her articles have appeared in the "Palm Beach Times" and she is the author of numerous books published by Hamlyn U.K., including "Healing Reiki" and "Pilates System." She holds a Master of Arts in informational studies from London University.