Your dog is likely to encounter more than one gecko during his lifespan, especially if you regularly let your dogs play outside or if you own a gecko as a pet. Dogs are naturally curious, so if your dog finds a gecko, he may try to play with the lizard when he comes across it -- or he may assume it's lunch. Eating a gecko can pose a hazard to your dog's health.
Geckos are Not Poisonous
None of the various types of geckos are considered poisonous. Geckos do not produce any type of poison or venom on their skin or inside their mouths. Because geckos are not poisonous, the chances of your dog being seriously sickened due to coming into contact with one are relatively low.
Geckos are not poisonous but their mouths do contain bacteria and they can deliver a fairly nasty bite. If your dog is bitten by a gecko and it breaks the skin, you'll need to take your dog to a veterinarian. The wound will need to be cleaned thoroughly and your dog may be prescribed an antibiotic. Gecko bites can make your dog very sick due to the high risk of infection.
In some cases, your dog may become ill after biting or eating a gecko if your dog is allergic to the gecko. He may also have a negative physical reaction to something on the gecko's skin or in the gecko's body. Some geckos may have come into contact with hazards such as pesticides that can harm your dog.
Supervise your dog when he's outside and discourage him from chasing, capturing or consuming lizards, including geckos. If your dog has caught a gecko, you should firmly tell him "no" and take the gecko away. If you believe your dog is having health problems as a result of an encounter with a gecko, take him to your vet for treatment immediately.
Jen Davis has been writing since 2004. She has served as a newspaper reporter and her freelance articles have appeared in magazines such as "Horses Incorporated," "The Paisley Pony" and "Alabama Living." Davis earned her Bachelor of Arts in communication with a concentration in journalism from Berry College in Rome, Ga.