Is Kalanchoe Poisonous to Dogs?by Cindy Quarters
Kalanchoe is covered with blooms part of the year.
Kalanchoe is a flowering plant frequently available from stores and nurseries during the late winter and early spring. It is known by a few other names, including devil’s backbone, the mother-in-law plant, mother of millions and the chandelier plant. The kalanchoe plant is popular for bright flowers that can be white, yellow, orange, red, pink or magenta. These help the kalanchoe find its way into many homes as a decorative houseplant.
It is possible for kalanchoe to poison your dog if he ingests it, but it is not generally considered to be highly toxic. Likely symptoms include diarrhea and vomiting, causing dehydration -- which is harmful. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested kalanchoe. In some rare cases, it can cause an abnormal heart rhythm, a potentially fatal reaction. Protect pets and children from kalanchoe to prevent accidents.
Video of the Day
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images