Are Lime Pellets Harmful to Pets or Dogs?by Heather Beach
Lime pellets are generally safe for use around pets.
Lime pellets are commonly used by homeowners on their lawns to raise the pH of acidic soil and support better growth of the lawn. As with any chemicals that your pets may encounter, it is important to know whether lime pellets have any toxic or harmful effects if your pets come in contact with them. Fortunately, lime pellets are fairly safe, but you should be aware of a few safety tips before you let your furry friend romp on the newly treated lawn.
Safety Tips for Pet Owners
Lime pellets are no more toxic to pets than they are to people; however, if your dog plays in the lawn right after the pellets are spread, he will have a higher exposure to them than you would. Lime pellets work to raise the pH of acidic soil because they are highly alkaline -- this means that direct contact between the skin and the pellets can be irritating. If you can, wait for a hard rain to dissolve the pellets into the soil before allowing your dog out onto the lawn, or water the lawn thoroughly. Lime pellets can be hazardous if dust from the pellets is inhaled or if it gets into the eyes of people or pets, so wear personal protective equipment when opening and pouring from the bag, and keep your pets away during this process. Lime pellets are fairly non-toxic when eaten, unless a large quantity is ingested, but you should still discourage your dog from licking them up if he tries.
Video of the Day
- David De Lossy/Photodisc/Getty Images