How Long Do You Cook Ground Chicken in Water for Dogs?by Elle Di Jensen
Making your dog's food at home ensures that you control the freshness and quality of ingredients, and it allows you to fine-dial a diet that suits your dog's digestive system. For dogs with sensitive stomachs, ground chicken is mild on the tummy and tasty on the tongue. Once you've cooked and drained the meat, it's a versatile base easily mixed with brown rice, oats and vegetables for nutritious and yummy homemade dog meals.
Crumble the ground chicken into the cooking pot.
Pour the water into the pot over the chicken. Stir with the spoon to mix.
Place the pot on the stove and turn the heat to high.
Bring the chicken and water to a boil before turning the heat down to low.
Simmer the chicken in the water for 20 minutes before removing from the heat.
Empty the pot into the colander over the sink, or into a container if you want the chicken broth, to drain the water from the chicken.
Allow the chicken to cool completely before mixing it with other ingredients or feeding to your dog.
Items You Will Need
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 6 cups water
- Large cooking pot
- Large spoon
- You can jazz things up a bit by adding a sprig of fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary, to the water and chicken before cooking.
- Mixing the cooked chicken with 1 cup of cottage cheese will help calm an upset dog tummy.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth in place of all or part of the water to cook the chicken in for an added kick of chicken flavor.
- Allrecipes.com: Buddy's and Bubba's Homemade Dog Food
- Allrecipes.com: Homemade Dog Food
- "The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Dogs and Cats"; Editors of Prevention Health Books
- VetInfo: Dog Remedies for Upset Stomach Problems
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images