How to Make Cheesy Dog Treatsby Susan Dorling
Let your dog know how much he means to you -- bake him some mouthwatering turkey and cheese muffins.
When your best friend's eyes plead "cheese please," whip up a batch of these mouthwatering muffins made with turkey bacon and cheddar cheese. Prepared with people-friendly ingredients and packed with protein, these treats smell and taste so heavenly, you'll be tempted to try one yourself.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray the muffin tin with olive oil cooking spray. Fry the turkey bacon until crisp. Let cool, then chop into fine pieces and set aside.
Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, ground flax seed, parsley, rosemary, cheddar cheese and turkey bacon in the mixing bowl until well incorporated. Beat the egg together with the olive oil in the measuring cup, and pour into the mixing bowl. Mix all the ingredients together until well blended. Add the water, a little at a time, until you have a thin, easy-to-pour batter. Add more water, if necessary.
Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full using the ladle to divide the batter evenly. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Insert a clean butter knife or toothpick into the center of a muffin to test if they are done -- the knife or toothpick will come out dry when they're ready. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Video of the Day
- Pupcakes; Stephanie Mehanna
- Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats; Dr. Richard H. Pitcairn, D.V.M., Ph.D. and Susan Hubble Pitcairn
- Dog Treat Kitchen: Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
- Three Dog Bakery Cookbook; Dan Dye and Jeff Beckloff
- The Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook; Jessica Disbrow Talley and Eric Talley
- Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images
- Frying pan
- Non-stick muffin tin
- Olive oil non-stick cooking spray
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Knife or toothpick
- Wire rack
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded, low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup cold water
- For special occasions like birthdays, invite your dog's pals over for a party and serve these muffins with a cream cheese frosting. Make the frosting by beating 1 cup of low-fat cream cheese with 4 tablespoons of olive oil until fluffy. Swirl the frosting on the top of each muffin with a frosting knife and sprinkle with some finely chopped turkey bacon bits and some finely diced fresh parsley.
- To make this cheesy treat last a little longer, make them in a mini-muffin tin. It makes lots more treats, and smaller treats are waistline-friendly.
- Make these muffins even more nutritious by adding some chopped alfalfa sprouts, finely diced raw zucchini or finely diced carrots.
- Make your own oat flour by grinding old-fashioned, rolled oats in a blender or food processor until it reaches a flour-like consistency.